So, several weeks ago, I freecycled 3 of them, and kept one with the idea that we might fabricate it into a rain barrel. Well, this weekend Colin and I had time to tackle the project. We headed to Home Depot with a general idea of what we needed, a large dose of cautious optimism (me), and loads of confidence that we could accomplish the job (him).
We picked up 4 items that we needed for this project: a faucet, a hose bib, a spade bit for the drill, and some flexible downspout tubing.
There were a few other things we used that we already had: a dremel with sanding bit and caulk.
Next, Colin drilled the same size hole for the overflow valve, which is near the top of the barrel and installed the simple hose bib there.
Lastly, we used this old scrap piece of garden hose we had lying around to route the overflow valve at the top of the barrel into the pipe that the downspout previously was routed to.
flexible gutter tubing: $8.87
overflow valve: $3.49
spade bit for drill: $3.80
caulking: free (already had)
I wanted to do this for under 20 bucks, so we did go over budget. But, I am willing to overlook the cost of the spade bit and chalk that up to building up the 'ole tool box. :)
Here are a couple shots I took from the backyard to show how the rain barrel looks up against the house and to show the placement (on the left corner of the house).
** linking to the girls at