dil·i·gence:careful and persistent work or effort

Proverbs 13: 4 The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.



Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas Eve


As I sit here at home alone tonight, it would be very easy for me to feel sorry for myself.  My parents spent the day with me, and we had a lovely day, but they've gone off to my sister's.  And, as is the case every year, Colin is with his dad.  They do a lot of celebrating on Christmas Eve and the day before, so it's tradition for Colin to spend this evening with his father's side of the family.

So, that leaves me.  Home alone.  Well, as alone as you can be with 3 dogs.  :)

But, I have good news.  I'm not sad.  Not one bit.  As I sit on the couch, I am overwhelmed with gratitude.  My cup truly runneth over.  I look around, and I see loveliness surrounding me.  I see signs of a well loved home everywhere I look.  I see school books and papers cluttering Colin's desk.  I see a fire burning hot in our pellet stove.  I see the glow of the Christmas lights that Colin and I carefully strung around our tree.  And, these things do please me.  But, those aren't really what is most pleasing to me tonight.  As I experience this quiet moment here safe in my warm home, I am so thankful.  I am thankful for health and stability.  I am thankful for family and friends.  But, mostly, I am thankful for the reason for this whole Christmas season. 

I am thankful that it was God's design, his will, to send us his Son.  I am thankful that He loved us enough to send his Son to us as a humble baby.  To live here among men, and to eventually die on a cross.  All for us.  All for you.  And for me.  So, as I sit here alone tonight, my heart is truly thankful.  I am not for one moment focusing on what I do not have.  How can I when I have been given so much?

xo,

Emily

5 comments:

  1. Emily- I was in your shoes at one time in my life....and I had a few sad moments, too. But, like you, they did pass and I became grateful for what I was given...for all that I had...and that I had all that I needed.

    You have your head on straight and your heart is in the right spot. Now...go plug in a wonderful old Christmas movie and go to sleep with a smile of contentment on your face.

    Merry Christmas Blessings to you and your son- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Diana, thank you for this note! I truly treasure it! I hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Emily, I know that even in the quiet moments, you are most definitely surrounded by love! I have seen that first-hand. And when I count my blessings this year, I think of all the wonderful new friends that have come into my life, even if only for brief moments - people who make me smile just thinking about them. You are one of those people. You make me smile! Merry Christmas friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, This note brought a smile to my face! Thank you so much!! Merry Christmas to you, too, Sharon. I hope yours is magical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my dear friend, your life is one of the fullest I know. When it comes to love in your life, *you* definitely reap what you sow. I, too, am so grateful for God's most perfect gift to all of us -- and for the gift of you!

    ReplyDelete