dil·i·gence:careful and persistent work or effort

Proverbs 13: 4 The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.



Monday, July 30, 2012

Pillows Anonymous

It could be worse, I suppose.  My addiction- that is.  Being addicted to throw pillows isn't that bad.  Actually, it's kind of fun.  :)

I've been in the mood for some new throw pillows for the couch.  I glanced around halfheartedly at some stores, but I knew what I really needed to do was pick out some fabric and sew my own.  Not only do you get exactly what you want, you end up saving money (usually) since you can reuse old forms that you already have.

And, that's exactly what I did this weekend!  This is the fabric that ended up coming home with me.  Are you drooling as much as I was when I found these two sweet fabrics?
I was going to type out a tutorial on making a simple envelope style pillow case, but there are so many good ones around already.  Just google it if you're interested.  So, I made this guy:
And, this guy:
And, I think they both look great with the paisley print pillow I already had.
I think the fresh, colorful pillows do a lot to help soften up the leather couch.  Leather is such a great idea for the dogs, but it's really kinda cold looking.  I do dream of a nice, soft, deep upholstered couch, but I just haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet.  So, for now I get new pillows. :)
Oh, and one more thing:  if you do sew some envelope style pillow cases, do yourself a favor and give the only visible edge- the area along the back side of the pillow- a nice thick hem, would ya?  I have recently discovered this trick (which none of the tutorials I read mentioned), and it does wonders for improving the final product.  Maybe this is common sewing knowledge, but I never professed to be a sewer.  :)
But, enough about pillows.  Frankly, I think this couch accessory is far cuter than all of the throw pillows in the entire world put together.

xo,

Emily

sharing with the girls at 

5 comments:

  1. Looks great, Emily! I love your home. And I have got to take my sewing machine I got for Christmas out of the box! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of Piper on the couch SO MUCH! I'm a shorthaired-dog kind of gal but when I see that beautiful, soft, fluffy, snuggly pup it *almost* makes me want a golden. (If I could be guaranteed to get Piper, that is!) Your pillows are great, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen- I cannot believe you've been sitting on a sewing machine for 6 months! You'll be so happy if you learn how to sew even the simplest of things.

    Annie- Proceed with caution! I was working on Piper's coat through most of a 2+ hour movie last night. Her daily romps in the woods mean she is covered (no, really- covered!) in burrs that have to be worked out or else we have a real problem on our hands. But, yes, that same fur is so soft and snuggly when she's all cleaned up. And, she is every bit as cute and sweet as she photographs. She is a gem! Not sure if I'll own another golden for fear of being let down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fabric choices Emily! I just went to JoAnn's for some pillow forms this afternoon. And thanks for the tip. I will remember that!

    ReplyDelete