dil·i·gence:careful and persistent work or effort

Proverbs 13: 4 The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.



Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Kitchen progress

Today, I worked from home to the lovely sounds of demo'ing, sawing, hammering, and constructing, and as I type this from the comfort of my imperfect bed, this is what the kitchen looks like:
I can hardly stand the progress!

My contractor showed up first thing this morning to get started.  Somehow, in just one workday, he managed to move the plumbing vent stack, re-route 2 overhead lights, move one switch and one outlet, and install a new electrical box.  Amazing, if you ask me.  I tried to be a good girl and stay out of the way, but I did find myself wandering upstairs so I could stand in the middle of the kitchen and just stare through the non-wall.  But, mostly I only did that when he was crawling around on his belly in the attic.

In other news, I've been on the hunt for an affordable material for my new backsplash.  While I am hiring out the serious stuff (plumbing, electrical, drywall repair), I'm going to try to tackle the easier stuff by myself (myself=with help from my dad/a friend/someone who knows DIY stuff). And, in this case, backsplash=easier stuff.  I've not made any decisions, but I will share with you some eye candy.


Pretty, right?!  I'm also considering going in another direction totally and using beadboard.  Either way, I think the color will be a gray with green undertones.

Ooh, and one decision I have made is on light fixtures.  I found these guys at Lowe's, and I LOVE them.
There will be two of them hanging above the new ledge.  I read and re-read the directions over my morning coffee today, and I think installing them should be a cinch (famous last words?). 

I am so excited about how well this is all coming together.  Honestly, I'm not sure how I'm going to sleep tonight knowing that my contractor will be back in the morning to likely finish things up.  I hope to have more photos to share tomorrow!

xo,

Emily

2 comments:

  1. Eden and I are excited by the progress! And we love your choice of pendant! She's looking forward to seeing it all in person this weekend, and helping with any electrical work that needs to be done. (Or maybe you should just stick to cooking and baking!)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making good progress Emily! Cool tiles choices, but of course I love beadboard too! And I just love that light fixture! Can't wait to see it all come together!

    ReplyDelete