dil·i·gence:careful and persistent work or effort

Proverbs 13: 4 The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.



Friday, November 11, 2011

Fabric bunting project

This project has been a long time in the making.  I fell in love with fabric buntings months and months ago via pinterest.  I was loving them so, so much I wanted one in every room.  I tried my hand at making one with cut up sheets and fabric napkins from the Goodwill.  Once I decided upon a size and method, I finalized a prototype and made a pattern.  And that, folks, is where this project stalled.  I knew I wanted to make more of these, but I never executed.  I'm sure I'm the only one with this problem...

This past week, I finally got to the fabric store with buying fabric for this project as my main goal.  You see, my niece Naomi is having a birthday very soon, and the first bunting I'd like to make is for my sister's house.  With 5 kiddos, she is always decorating for birthday parties and holiday gatherings.  How cute would it be if she had a fun and festive and gender neutral pennant flag that she could pull out for each occasion?!

I had decided on a color scheme already, so when I found a bundle of yellow, grey and black fabric quarters in the quilting section of Joann's, I snatched them up.  They are perfect!  Last night during Grey's Anatomy, I cut the quarters into triangles.  Using my template, I cut 2 triangles out of each quarter.  Each triangle is approx 8" wide and 11" tall.  (I have no idea how I settled on those dimensions, haha!)  Here are all my triangles (12) cut out.


I also picked up a yard of plain white fabric to line the back of the flag with.  I also cut 12 of them, and lined the up with the patterned fabric.  Then, I sewed them together.  I only sewed down the two long sides, leaving the top open.

Here's one set sewed together.


Next, I attached them to a double fold quilt binding.  I used one 3 yards long and extra wide.  I chose to use grey thread and grey binding.  Sky's the limit, though.  Here it is all laid out attached to the binding along the top.  I also attached a bit of coordinating ribbon to the ends for tying.


Viola!  That's it!  :)


I just love the finished product!







I hope my sister likes it and uses it for years to come.  One thing is for sure, it was made with lots of love!

xo,

Emily

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Big Sis here... I do love the bunting -- I was just checking your blog and hope I haven't ruined a surprise! I'll let it be a surprise for the kids, although that'll be difficult considering they're always asking if you've posted anything new!! Can't wait to use it for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, not at all! I was hoping you'd see it. I am terrible at surprises anyway. :) Stay tuned- lots of projects are getting accomplished this weekend, so there will be plenty for the kids to see even if you manage to keep the flag a surprise!

    ReplyDelete