That's what I figured I would say when someone asked me about the curtain panels that are now hanging in my office. The reality? They were a tad more work than I thought.
I have been wanting to sew some curtain for my office/craft area, and I have been greatly encouraged by both the tutorials I have found all over the internet and by my budding sewing skills. So, I figured picking out the fabric would be the hardest part. I found this lovely floral/paisley-ish fabric at Joann's for $10/yard and 30% off. So far so good. I needed 5 yards, so for $35 I could have beautiful custom window treatments.
The first thing I did when brought the fabric home was clip it up on the already hanging rods to make sure I liked the colors, etc. (Not that I had a plan of what to do with it if I didn't like the fabric in the office, but you know.) Oh, and the fabric was already in 2 2 1/2 yard pieces, because it came from 2 different bolts. Yes, there was a minute (or 10) of panic at the cutting counter when we discovered the first bolt had only about 4 1/2 yards of fabric on it when I needed 5. But, we found another bolt with exactly 2 1/2 yards, so I got 2 pieces- each 2 1/2 yards in size. The fabric cutting lady said I must be a good girl to have things work out so perfectly. Meanwhile, I was wondering if I really wanted to use all my good luck on fabric, but oh well. So, when I got them in the office with the already yellow walls and various other things that already live in there, it was love.
Yep, it was perfect! Here's a picture I snapped before I had done any sewing at all. Just raw fabric clipped onto the curtain rod and puddled on the floor. I actually didn't think it was half bad, haha.
So, once I hemmed the top, I cut the selvage off the edges, and zipped up the sides. Then, it was time to figure out how long they should be. This was a really time consuming part of the process, which included me crouching on the floor with about 400 straight pins. Finally, I did get it all pinned up, and I actually just pulled the ironing board over to the wall and ironed the hem while the curtains were still hanging. But, I did take them down to sew that last hem. And, here they are all hemmed up and hanging.
So, all in all, I am glad I sewed myself some curtains. But, it was time consuming and I found it to be somewhat tedious. Frankly, I might- in the future- really just look for a reason to use the almighty drop cloth as window treatments like I have in my living room.