dil·i·gence:careful and persistent work or effort

Proverbs 13: 4 The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.



Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Kitchen: update #350573991

Number one way to make your previously fine floors appear dirty, dingy, and disgusting:  paint your wainscoting white!

Ask me how I know that.  Go ahead.  Ask!


In case anyone was wondering, I ran out of painting patience with this project a long, long time ago.  Not only do my floors look awful next to the fresh white wainscoting, I have discovered now that the already white windows and trim is more of a creamy white and the new white is more of a bright white.  And, on top of that, I have an electrical outlet issue.  Other than the ones in the breakfast room, all of the outlets in our house are almond.  (The ones in the breakfast room are old and black.)  I planned to replace the ones in the breakfast room, but with what color?  The walls are white, so I can't use almond.  But, all of the outlets in the whole house- including those right across in the kitchen- are almond.  Do I dare go white?  And, if so, should I swap out the switches for white, too, which are currently almond?  I feel like every little decision I make with this project snowballs into some huge issue.  Man, I could never do a real rehab, haha!

Ahem.  Regaining control.

And, so tonight, I leave you with a picture of Colin and me from a recent trip to NYC.  Here we are at Rockefeller Center.  I look at this photo, and I can't believe that he is as tall as I am!
Good night, y'all.

xo,

Emily

8 comments:

  1. I can't either! And yes, make the outlet covers where the wainscotting is white. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scoting, not scotting apparently. Hey, at least I figured out how to comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha- I had to look it up, too! White, huh? I'm going to have to simmer on this. I'm not 100% the white paint is staying, but that's a blog entry for another day!

      Delete
  3. LOL- Don't you hate all those little decisions? I think they are harder to make than the big ones sometimes. Love the picture of you and your son! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sooo with you on the whole snowballing thing. One project always leads to another and it really never ends. And by the time you get all the way through your house and think that you're finished, you just end up needing to start back at the beginning. And the small decision are the most exhausting! ... I have the same outlet problem. Mine are the most horrible dark shade of tan and yes I am slowly changing them all to white. ... Cute picture of you and Colin. I think he must have grown since I met him at our sale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The white from chair rail down looks great, at least in the picture. (Although the window and floor look fine, too!) When we moved here, all of the outlets, switches and outlet/switch covers were almond. As we've painted one room at a time, we've switched out everything for white. It's tedious, but worth it, I think. I enjoy having the outlets, switches, moldings, doors and ceilings a bright, crisp white. And outlets/switches/covers aren't expensive -- we just bought 10-packs at Home Depot. Good luck making your decision!!

    Amy & the Gang

    ReplyDelete
  6. White outlet covers. The floor looks fine to me from the photo...if it bothers you a lot, you can re-grout, or if you'd rather not, my BIL gave a positive review of a grout pen he used recently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS I think the white wainscoting looks GREAT. I want to be able to do that in a house one of these days.

    ReplyDelete