dil·i·gence:careful and persistent work or effort

Proverbs 13: 4 The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.



Monday, March 12, 2012

Winter Pinterest Challenge

What's that?!  It's time for the WINTER PINTEREST CHALLENGE??!?!?  Yahoooooo!

The Fall Pinterest Challenge is the whole reason I started this blog in the first place, when I attempted to recreate a burlap bunting and mod podged pumpkin.  So, when I heard that my besties, Sherry and John from YHL and Katie from Bower Power were teaming up again to bring us the winter edition of the challenge, I knew I had better stop pinning and start doing!

So, without further ado, I present to you my take on Mini Manor's embellished tea towels.  I originally pinned this image of Ashli's:
And, once I read her simple tutorial, I knew it was a project I could tackle.  So, I followed her steps.  I laid out my 4 scraps of random left-over fabric and ironed them flat.
 Then, I got to sewing: up one side, turn 90 degrees, down the next side, turn 90 degrees, repeat.  In no time I had two cute towels!
And, before I knew it, there were four!
Now, there was one thing that Ashli just might have forgotten to mention: what happens if you forget to cut off the tags first.
 But, well, I suppose worse things could happen!  So, here are my new towels in action.




They really are super cute and were super easy to make.  I think they took me probably 15 minutes total.  And, now for a cost breakdown:

bar towels:  $5-ish bucks from Target
fabric:  free!!  (left over from this fabric bunting project)

Wahoo!  How's that for custom kitchen linens?!  I hope this leaves you all pin-spired!

xo,

Emily

10 comments:

  1. What a great way to make matching hand towels.. a set of those would make a wonderful gift as well.. thoughtful and useful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very cute, Emily. A nice decorator touch for very little money! xo Diana

    ps. I am editing this to ask you something. Do you know that you have double word verification on? I just tried to post twice and couldn't read the scrambled letters on both words. Not sure if you know it is on....I'm gonna try this one more time now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear lovely readers, I had NO IDEA word verification was set to on- much less double word verification! I HATE word verification, and I won't comment on blogs with it because I find it so annoying. I can't stand that it's been on this whole time on my very own blog. I am pretty sure I just turned it off. Would some kind commenter verify for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all love your towels, especially since we can turn around and admire the very same fabrics on our bunting! We'll let you know if the word verification is still on. See you this weekend! XO Amy & the Gang

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks Lovely!!!!
    You did a great job! I never removed my tags I just sewed on the other side hehe
    I love your color and fabric choices very cute!
    Lots of Love
    Ashli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your towels look so cute! I love all the inspiration at Pinterest. Now if I only had more time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great! Congrats on following through with something you pinned. I remember reading about them on Mini Manor a while back - I've pinned quite a few of Ashli's projects and am working on finishing one up right now.

    I'd love for you to come check out my Winter Pinterest Challenge project!

    Take care,

    Claire @ alittlesomethinginthemeantime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just popped over from the Young House Love Pinterest Challenge. This is a great way to use up those fabric scraps you love but have nothing to use them for. So simple and cute. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They turned out really cute! And what a great way to use up fabric scraps! Oh, and sewing through the tag sounds like something I'd do.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete